National Pecan Day is April 14 this year and we have plenty of mouth-watering treats to help you celebrate at Sweet Candy + Gifts in the Heights.
What do you know about the pecan? Foodimentry gives us five facts we certainly didn’t know in their article National Pecan Day:
1. Pecans come in a variety of sizes – mammoth, extra large, large, medium, small and midget.
2. Before a shelled pecan is ready to be sold, it must first be cleaned, sized, sterilized, cracked and finally, shelled.
3. There are over 1,000 varieties of pecans. Many are named for Native American Indian tribes, including Cheyenne, Mohawk, Sioux, Choctaw and Shawnee.
4. Texas adopted the pecan tree as its state tree in 1919.
5. 2 Pecans provide nearly 10 percent of the recommended Daily Value for zinc.
To celebrate National Pecan Day we want to introduce you to two of our favorite pecan themed treats at Sweet Candy + Gifts; first, the New Orleans Famous Praline Company.
Legend has it that French settlers brought their European recipes to Louisiana and adapted using local or readily available ingredients such as brown sugar, cream, and pecans.
New Orleans Famous Praline Company has been making these traditional Creole candies since 1996, and we are proud to have them by the box at Sweet. Pralines are a sweet and uniquely southern idea for Easter or Mother's Day.
Southern style is the perfect segue to our second offering honoring the pecan: Juanita’s Candy Kitchen. While you might know this Arkadelphia based confectioner best for its peanut brittle, they now have varieties for those who enjoy pecans and cashews.
Juanita’s bucket style packaging makes a perfect corporate or client appreciation gift as it’s easy to transport. We carry all three Juanita’s brittle: Peanut, Pecan, and Cashew. Stop in for a true Arkansas favorite any time of the year.
Need a corporate gift? Sweet can help you out! Click here to speak with someone who can help or call our store at 501-508-5232.